Code of Ethics
The Global Trade Professionals Alliance (GTPA) develops competency standards and provides a global certification programme for professionals that undertake trade related activities.
Individuals that are certified under the programme have demonstrated that they undertake their trade related responsibilities in a competent and
GTPA also approve education and continuing professional development providers and their course/s as providing knowledge that is required in the GTPA competency standards.
All applicants, approved education providers and continuing professional development providers’ and certified Global Trade Professionals (GTPs) commit to uphold this Code of Ethics. They shall conduct their activities and behaviour in a manner that is consistent with the following ethical statements:
- apply their recognised competence and provide their approved services to the fullest extent possible whenever they are engaged in trade related activities or provide trade related knowledge;
- comply with all relevant laws and international and national conventions, including commitments on antibribery and against corrupt practices;
- act honestly and with integrity in all of their dealings;
- not make promises or commitments they know they or GTPA does not intend, or would be unable, to honour;
- adhere to the truth, and not knowingly mislead directly or indirectly or make false statements, or mislead by omission;
- use approvals, certification and any other forms of recognition provided by GTPA strictly in accordance with the terms on which those approvals, certification and forms of recognition are provided;
- treat all people with whom they deal through their work with dignity and respect;
- never discriminate, harass or bully anyone in his or her dealings. This includes being sensitive to cultural differences and that behaviours that may be acceptable to them may not be acceptable to others.
Our goal is to bring people together to:
- build professional capabilities in trade
- elevate the profile of trade
- advocate the benefits and opportunities of trade
- facilitate networking
- improve the performance and success of companies in global trade
- boost the efficiency of trade processes.
Featured GTPA Member
Ziyaad Ebrahim, GTP
Ziyaad has close to fifteen years of experience in international trade and development.He joined the World Trade Organization (WTO) after serving 12 years in various positions within the Government of Seychelles, where he comes from.
During his time in the Government of Seychelles, he was directly involved in trade, investment and general economic policy formulation and implementation.He also has experience on WTO accession and was involved in FTA negotiations with the European Union and within the Eastern and Southern African region. He has also worked with international organisations such as the IMF, World Bank and the African Development Bank on Structural Adjustment Programmes, private sector and MSME development initiatives including gender empowerment projects.
In his current role with the WTO, he coordinates the work of the WTO LDC Group in the ongoing trade negotiations.He also monitors and assists LDC participation in specific areas of the negotiations which include Special and Differential Treatment (S&DT), fisheries subsidies, trade facilitation and LDC accession negotiations.
He is fluent in English and has working knowledge of French.
Ziyaad was one of the first people globally to be certified as a Global Trade Professional in the area of Trade Management.